You love the blog, so subscribe to the Beervana Podcast on iTunes or Soundcloud today!

Friday, March 30, 2007

Your Favorite Portland-area Brewpubs?

I am slowly working my way through my "best of Beervana" posts, and next up is Portland brewpubs--arguably the most important post of the series. While Oregon is generally considered beer paradise, Portland is its capital, and when people come to town, they want world-class beer. Before I get too far into the post, though, I thought I'd do a reader poll--which are your faves?

The only way I can manage a "best" list is to break it down by category. Below are the brewpubs I was seriously considering in each category. Don't feel constrained by either the list or the categories, but do weigh in--which are the best?

Best Beer
  • Roots
  • Laurelwood
  • BJ's Jantzen Beach (seriously--Dan Pederson's a wizard)
  • New Old Lompoc
  • Rogue Flanders Street
Ambiance
  • Amnesia
  • Lucky Lab
  • Lompoc Fifth Quadrant
  • Mash Tun
Food
  • Laurelwood
  • Widmer Gasthaus
  • BridgePort
  • Full Sail Pilsner Room
Keep in mind, I'll also do reviews of Portland pubs and Oregon brewpubs, so we'll catch some places that won't appear here.

5 comments:

  1. I'd have to say Laurelwood for best beer, although Amnesia would be a 2nd. I wouldn't give Amnesia an "ambience" award though?

    Actually, I'm sitting in the Laurelwood on WiFi typing this as I drink a scotch ale.

    Very well done I think I'll have another please yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my favourite for all these categories is the widmer gasthaus in N portland.

    but when the deschutes brewpub opens in PDX Widmer may get dethrowned :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I have to limit it to the choices you present, I'd have to say New Old Lompoc for beer, and Amnesia for ambiance (the minimalist approach makes it all about the beer and the people you're sharing it with). I have no opinion about the food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BEST BEER

    Laurelwood

    AMBIANCE

    **Depends on what you're looking for! It's a personal choice... Grudgy, upscale, simple, etc.....

    I prefer 'Down Home' feel. Beer is an everymans drink, not just a lowley or upper crusty drink. I'd say, New Old Lompoc 23rd ave. That's beer drinking environment.

    FOOD

    This is a dance of new school, old school and just down right consistentcy....

    High Heel food can go with Beer, but traditionaly NOT! Simple, but good pub grub is the norm. I would say New Old Lompoc again or McMenamins...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tommy, no limits. I was using my faves as prompts, but I'm interested in your opinion. Dr. Wort, it is all subjective, isn't it? Last time I was at the new BridgePort, it was packed, so someone likes it. Someone.

    ReplyDelete