You love the blog, so subscribe to the Beervana Podcast on iTunes or Soundcloud today!

Monday, January 23, 2006

About Beervana

nirvana (n) - The ineffable, ultimate state in which one has attained the transcendent union of wisdom and compassion.

Beervana (n) -
    (1) The ineffable state in which one has attained transcendent union of malt and hops;

    (2) Portland; Oregon.

Me.
Beervana was founded in January 2006 as largely a Portland-area blog. It was one of the earlier beer blogs--though nowhere near the earliest. Over time, it has morphed somewhat as my focus has broadened.

In Spring 2012 Chronicle Books will publish The Beer Tasting Toolkit, my beginner's guide to beer tasting. I'm currently working on The Beer Bible for Workman Publishing. It's a companion piece to Karen MacNeil's wildly successful Wine Bible. The manuscript is due in May 2013 and Workman hasn't set a publication date. You can read more about that project here.

In the meantime, I'll keep blogging here. You might also be interested in my Tumblr photo page, which is a document of the amazing places I've visited while writing the book. Of course, I also have the obligatory Twitter feed and Facebook page, because the future of media is redundancy.

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Mash Tun Brew Pub isn't Honest I was there 6-14-08 on your recomendation and I got a 14 oz Pint

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw TM above the word Beervana on the Bayou's website. I doubted their Trademark, so in searching I found your site. I like your definition.

    Could they have trademarked that word?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steven, I don't know too much about that--though I've seen the site, too. I think it would be pretty hard to restrict that mark beyond a narrow scope; it has been in the public domain as a reference to Portland/Oregon for 15 years. I think it's akin to "Steel City." You could trademark that name for gloves, say, but you couldn't enforce it by restricting a restaurant in Pittsburgh from using the name. Anyway, that's how I understand it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blog. Saw your mention in Sunset. Have you ever been to Montana to visit/sample the brews? We have some good ones here in Billings. Yellowstone Valley, Angry Hanks, and Carters to go along with the more well known Montana Brewing. Also Red Lodge Ales down the road a little. All, except for Montana Brewing are "tasting" pubs. Open 4-8 pm with a limit of 3 per. Beers are very good and only $3.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I dig yr blog, moving to portland next month and doing a little research beforehand. From what I can tell, I'm going to enjoy this town immensely. Want to check out my own brew blog? http://kazoohomebrew.blogspot.com/
    happy hopping!
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  7. Relocated to Corvallis. Already sample craft beers in the heart of the valley: Block 15 and Oregon Trail in Corvallis and Calapooia in Albany. Good Stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jeff, I just recently started a beer blog myself and stumbled upon yours. Very interesting! If you are ever in the Cleveland area there are definitely some awesome breweries to check out, especially Great Lakes Brewing Company..not sure if you have ever had its beer. Also, I am still learning about the beer industry so I will have to check out your book on beer tasting. Look forward to reading more of your posts. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete