You love the blog, so subscribe to the Beervana Podcast on iTunes or Soundcloud today!

Friday, August 31, 2007

Jackson Memento

When Michael Jackson visited Portland in 1998, he joined in as homebrew judge for the associated contest. I am not a huge homebrewer, and have only entered beer in two competitions (the two years NorWester held that competition--I actually judged in the second one). However, I had the very good fortune to have a batch of Belgian-style ale around, which I entered. Jackson, the Belgian lover, judged my beer. Below are a couple bad phone photos of the sheet, along with some of the text from the ballot.
  • Subcategory - Belgian Ale
  • Judge name - "M Jackson" (sort of visible in the blurry close-up)
  • Judge qualification - none checked, perhaps out of modesty
  • Aroma - He scored it 7 out of 12 possible points, writing, "Malty. Lightly spicy."
  • Appearance (2 out of 3). "Bright. Attractive reddish amber. Good head."
  • Flavor (12 of 20). "Starts well, vanishes somewhat in middle." (Very true; its central flaw.)
  • Mouthfeel (3 of 5). "On the light side for the style. (It's meant to be light, but not his light.)"
  • Overall impression (7 of 10). "Needs more complexity. More spicy yeast?"
Even by my own modest standards, it wasn't one of my best. It hardly matters, does it?

No comments:

Post a Comment