You love the blog, so subscribe to the Beervana Podcast on iTunes or Soundcloud today!

Thursday, January 26, 2012

End of Gueuze

Things are about to get meager around here. I woke up on Monday and it occurred to me that I have a May deadline coming up. That may sound like a long ways off, but I have to write as much between now and then as I have between now and last May. Yikes. So you'll probably get stuff like this...

I was listening to my audio tape of Frank Boon, and he made this observation:
“In the 1950s and 1960s, this was a time when breweries were closing and all the local styles were disappearing. Everywhere in Belgium. Louvain white disappeared, Peeterman disappeared, [others?] disappeared. If gueuze had disappeared in the 1960s, nobody would ever have imagined to make such a beer. It’s an absolutely crazy way to make beer.”
It never really occurred to me, but it's probably true that lambic was at one time on the verge of extinction. It's not a massive segment now by any means, but it's thriving in its small way. Whew.

3 comments:

  1. Spare a thought for all the styles that didn't make it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kingdom for a grodziskie, my tiny, meager kingdom for a gratzer.

    Beer Nut, I did cover that last week, but I didn't mention a tasty little number that caught my eye ... from Paris. I'll post the description of that tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete