You love the blog, so subscribe to the Beervana Podcast on iTunes or Soundcloud today!

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

More on Aging Beers

Speaking of decade-old beer, don't miss this:
Full Sail brewer John Harris just e-mailed (from Hawaii, where he's vacationing --- now that's dedication...) with the news that the folks at the Pilsner Room at McCormicks and Schmick's Harborside Restaurant are tapping a 10-year-old keg of Full Sail Imperial Stout for St. Patrick's day...it should be amazing...they'll also have a keg of 2008 Imperial Stout on tap so you can do a steeeep vertical tasting.

Vertical Imperial Stout Tasting
Monday, Mar. 17th
Harborside Pilsner Room,
0309 S.W. Montgomery St
503-220-1865
Also, in comments to the aging beer post below, Bill from It's Pub Night points me to this extraordinary site on cellaring beer. It includes tips, experiments, and of course, recommendations.

3 comments:

  1. Beervana, I was able to get hold of 4 bombers of Abyss to smuggle back to AZ. It's about to start getting hot. Any input on how long to store the 3 I'm not going to drink right away?

    www.hopsandbarleyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arizona homes rarely have basements or cellars, right? I've never understood that. I don't know what to suggest here. If you don't have a cool room, you may have to drink 'em before the heat gets too intense. If you have a swimming pool, you could back them in a box that would shield the light and put them down there--that would keep them at a relatively cooler temperature, I believe. (I read once about an Arizona homebrewer who'd put his carboy at the bottom of the pool to keep it cool--his airlock just let the gas bubble up from the bottom.)

    Other than that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luckily, my wife and I have a wine habit to compliment my beer habit. I currently have one Abyss in our wine fridge to keep it a cool 55-60 degrees all summer long.

    I wouldn't recommend the pool, ours gets into the low 90s in the peak of the summer.

    So, when should I pull out the aged Abyss? 6 months? a year?

    Thx.

    ASG

    ReplyDelete