You love the blog, so subscribe to the Beervana Podcast on iTunes or Soundcloud today!

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Oregon Brewers Fest By the Numbers

If imitation is flattery, consider this my "aw shucks." Three weeks ago, Sanjay beat me to this year's statistical punch, and I see in my media packet that a similar item is included. But superfluous though it may be, I was there first, and by god, I'm doing the annual numbers post. Note that 2010's numbers are listed in parentheses (a Beervana value-added feature) and none of these numbers include the 51 beers in the "buzz tent." Here we go.

Years since inception: 24
Total beers: 86 (81)
Total breweries: 86 (81)
States represented: 14 (16)
Percent Oregon: 53% (43%)
Percent California: 19% (22%
Percent Washington: 10% (9%)
All Others: 17% (26%)

Ale to Lager ratio: 8 to 1 (9 to 1)
Total styles (by broad category): 34 (27)
IPAs: 17%, 15 total (20%, 16 total)
Belgian styles: 16% (12%)
German/Czech styles: 17% (14%)
Well-represented niche* styles:
__- Pilsner: 4 (5)
__- Cascadian Dark Ale: 4 (NA)
__- Porter: 6 (NA)
__- Munich Helles: 2 (0)
__- Kolsch: 3 (2)

Beers using wheat: 19-ish%** (23%)
Beers using spices/adjuncts: 19% (15%)
Fruit beers: 10% (15%)

ABV of smallest beer (Riverport Blond Movement): 4.3% (4.0%)
ABV of largest beer (Dogfish Head Black and Red Imperial Stout): 10.3% (9.5%)
Beers below 5.5%: 34 (NA)
Beers above 7%: 27 (NA)
Fewest IBUs in Fest (Gilgamesh Mint Kolsch): 0 (0)
Most IBUs at the Fest (Lucky Lab Summit IPA): 103 (111)
Beers between 0 and 40 IBUs: 51 (NA)
Minimum years in a row 21st Amendment has brought Watermelon Wheat: 10 (9)

______________
*Niche for Oregon, anyway. Your mileage may vary.
**Not every grain bill was available.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Jeff, this is excellent, but can I just point out that I've done an OBF Harper's index for the last two years in the Oregon Craft Beer Month special section that I write for The Oregonian? Not that yours is a copy of mine by any means...The Harper's Index format is a great invention and always onhe of my favorite parts of that magazine...
    cheers;
    JF

    ReplyDelete
  2. can I just point out that I've done an OBF Harper's index for the last two years in the Oregon Craft Beer Month special section that I write for The Oregonian?

    You may indeed. And I'll point you to my first post with the Harper's-style index ... from 2007. Back in my political blogging days, I did a similar thing for the State of the Union address, starting in 2003.

    Harper's Index ... um, that was a tad earlier than my efforts. Which were, obviously, stolen from Harper's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What jumps out? A 10 percent increase in Oregon beers. Art recently alluded to the many "friends" who want to be part of the OBF. I guess a lot of those friends are in Oregon, which makes sense given the growth we're seeing here. Nice stats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah!? Are you saying I just copy other bloggers!?!...well, yer goin' to the top of my Enemies list, pal...
    ;-)
    J "old school" F

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow John, somehow you managed to channel Ezra and Dr. Wort with 3, er, "sentences" and a bit of punctuation.

    ReplyDelete