- Figuring out what kind of brewery to open and whether it will be successful.
- Deciding on a type of brewery and budget, and finding funding.
- Finding a location.(Lents!)
- Working with the city, complying with regulations.
- Designing, buying, and installing equipment, designing and outfitting the pub.
One other podcast is already live, and it's pretty fascinating. Editor John Holl did an interview with Boston Beer founder Jim Koch, and what makes it compelling is how combative and uncomfortable Koch seems throughout. I have done hundreds of brewer interviews in my life, and I know that 95% of them lead to a meeting of the mind between brewer and interviewer. We don't play gotcha journalism; we just want to know how you make your beer. But Koch never seems comfortable, and he challenges John on nearly every question. He's prickly, contrarian, and offers very different opinions than you normally encounter. It makes for great listening.
As for the Beervana Podcast mentioned above, I'll let you know when it goes live and where you can find it.