You love the blog, so subscribe to the Beervana Podcast on iTunes or Soundcloud today!

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Aloha

I had planned to get a bit more content up, but in about twelve hours I'll be on a plane bound for Hawaii, where I'll spend the next fortnight. We will be on the Big Island near the town of Kona, which, it so happens, is the location of Kona Brewing (although it was unintentional, it's somehow not surprising that we're headed to one of the few towns with a local brewery).

No promises on blogging, but I may beam in from time to time with a report--and maybe a picture or two from our new Canon A570 IS. Hold down the fort, raise a pint Westward, and I'll see you in a couple weeks.

5 comments:

  1. Forget Kona; be sure to pick up some of Maui Brewing Company's excellent beers. They're available where you're going: http://www.mauibrewingco.com/where_hawaii.htm

    Keoki's beers are also a pretty good bet:
    http://www.keokibrewing.com/hawaii.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aloha! I agree about the suggestion for Maui Brewing. We stopped there last week. They can three of their beers, as you can read about on their website. The Coconut Porter is worth seeking out. It was a available at Mama's Fish House, so you may find it around Kona too.

    I brought two six packs home to Portland!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aloha no! Have to endorse the MBC recommendation. Garrett Marero and Tom Kerns are serious about their beer AND our fragile environment. Try the Big Wave IPA. If you're passing through Hilo stop in at Mehana Brewing: http://www.mehana.com/
    They're a true Mom&Pop. The grandmother oversees the tasting room! Volcano Red probably best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just spent the last couple hours at a frat-like sports bar watching my Pack win (despite the relative distances, there were far more Packer fans in attendance), and Sally and I tried three Kona beers. They were all robust and tasty--more so than I would expect on a tropical island. So I'll look for these others, but I have nothing bad to say about Kona beers. Good stuff. Now, back to the beach....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jeff,

    If you have room in your luggage, would you mind bringing back some of those Maui cans? We're building quite the collection of craft/import beer cans at the cafe, and it's always nice to get stuff that's not available here.

    No worries if you can't do it, but I'll find a way to make it worth your while if you can :)

    Thanks,

    Chris

    ReplyDelete