You love the blog, so subscribe to the Beervana Podcast on iTunes or Soundcloud today!

Friday, February 08, 2008

In the Desert

I am in Yuma, Arizona, visiting my parents. This is certainly no one's idea of a beer haven, but when we went out to eat last night, I was rudely reminded of what a lot of America looks like beer-wise. We were celebrating Sally's birthday, so we went to the nicest restaurant in town. Three pages of wines, a full bar, and about a dozen beers available (none on tap). When we asked which ones, the list started out "Bud, Bud Light, Coors, Coors Light, MGD," and continued in that vein until finally they came to Sierra Nevada Pale and Guinness. Those thrown in, obviously, for the out-town-freaks who like that "heavy" beer.

On the positive side, I tracked down a micro from Tempe. The only one in the local store (though they did have BridgePort IPA, Pyramid and Widmer Hef, and Mirror Pond), but I snatched it up.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, my home state! Too bad you aren't in Flagstaff (my hometown). You could try some decent local beer there at the Flagstaff Brewing Company, Mogollon Brewing company, or the Beaver Street Brewery. Of course, you'd have to deal with the snow.

    I was amused at the headline in the Sports section of the Oregonian today about PSU's win in "the desert". I admit, Flagstaff is drier than the Willamette valley, but Yuma is desert, not Flagstaff...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I had a quarter for every time I heard that litany in the 80s and 90s...I could buy my local brewers all the hops they need for the year. So glad that's much less common these days.

    ReplyDelete