You love the blog, so subscribe to the Beervana Podcast on iTunes or Soundcloud today!

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Thumbs Up For Ducks, Down for McMenamins

Yesterday evening, I went to the Mission to watch the Ducks gut out a nice win in LA. The game was a big winner: the Ducks running their usual insanely fast offense, getting down in the second half, and then roaring back for a three-touchdown win. The USC defense came into the game with the sole goal of stopping LaMichael James, who ended up with 238 yards. A remarkable performance.

The McMenamins' game, however, was nowhere near as sharp. I ordered a porter to start things off, and it was treacly sweet. Next up, a Hammerhead so soaked in diacetyl I had to send it back (to a surly, disbelieving barkeep). The replacement IPA was actually better than the McMenamins' usual standard--typically a very average version. Sally had the seasonal nut brown (fine) and a Terminator even more worty than my porter. She finished half of it.

The McBrothers have never offered the city's finest beers, but it's been years since I've had noticeably bad ones. Inexcusable. I will consider more carefully whether I want to spend three hours watching a football game (on, albeit, a beautiful movie screen) in the company of those beers.

Oh, and while we're talking about bad beer, the Beeronomist has some harsh words for Migration. Deserved, I'm sad to say. Since I was there with him, I feel duty bound to confirm his reports. I had hoped Migration was on the mend, but it looks like they still have work to do.

6 comments:

  1. Bad Beer is Beervana?? OMFG! You mean all the rumors are true?

    F*CK the DUCKS! GO GIANTS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The McMenamins are really becoming incredibly unreliable for quality in both food and drink. And yes, for those who don't believe it, both can be great. But sadly misfires are the norm now and I rarely visit.

    The last time I was at a McPub it was at the Edgefield and the IPA was skanky. I sent it back, but it was clear the server thought the problem was mine and thus serving from the keg continued.

    My inner economist says that it is all about the internal incentives - which are sadly lacking.

    And, hey, finally something I can agree with Doc Wort about: Go Giants!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, am pulling for the Giants. Fortunately, my brain is big enough to tolerate enthusiasm for both a college football team AND a major league baseball team. And even a pro football team (Packers), an NBA team (Blazers), and--just because I'm THAT ecumenical--another college football team (the mighty Wisconsin Badgers).

    But I understand not everyone's is.

    (zing!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will only fill a growler over my way at the East Vancouver McMenamins where Craig brews... one whom I firmly believes in his art... whether it is his or not. The beers are always nice there. Do I attend any other establishments? No. They really need to branch out, get creative... or grow in quality so they can keep up with all the other fantastic offerings out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anyone know which pub brews the beer for the Mission? It would be good to know what place to avoid.

    The fresh-hop beer McM's brought to the Tastival was beautiful. And I usually have good luck at the Barley Mill (Hillsdale brews for them).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to brew for the brothers back in 1991 to 93. Then moved on to brew for a further 7 years.

    They never seemed to embrace change to improve the quality of the beer. For years, as the micro industry grew up so to speak, the brothers seemed to bury their heads in mediocrity. They would, at times, excel to greatness only to return to to status quo.

    When I return to the area I like the Fulton, but even this Summer I had a bad Hammer Head there. The IPA was truly fantastic though. Next trip to Portland I wil not be going to a Mc Pub. To many other great beers in town to waste my time and money. If I want to gamble with my money I would rather go to Vegas.

    ReplyDelete