You love the blog, so subscribe to the Beervana Podcast on iTunes or Soundcloud today!

Monday, February 25, 2008

Deschutes Green Lake Organic Amber

Sally and I cracked open a 22 of Deschutes' inagural organic ale during the Oscars last night, and I have to say it was underwhelming. (The usual caveats apply: I love Deschutes, and their recent record--including the recently re-released Spring seasonal Buzzsaw Brown--has been amazing.) It is thick and viscous, but not richly or creamily so. The brewery claims 45 IBUs, but I found the hop character subdued--and wholly unprepared to meet the force of the cloying malt.

I would rate the beer a C if I had to rate it, but for the moment, I don't think I will. I want to verify my findings with a second bottle. The brewery's long history of success has earned that latitude, at least. Anyone else try it? What did you think?

4 comments:

  1. I actually love that "American Amber" style of beer, so thoroughly enjoyed Green Lakes... while I found this year's Buzzsaw Brown to be the underwhelming one. It's fine, but not as good as last year's... there seems to have been a bit of a tang or something weird going on there. But now I'll have to open another one up to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. df34

    I thought it was okay but not great. More of a "grocery store beer" as opposed to a special beer that you would pick up at a bottle shop.

    I was not a fan of the buzzsaw brown though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with Jon. I absolutely loved this brew and I think it hit the genre it was going for perfectly. I can see how you would be disappointed though if you were looking for something more "traditionally Deschutes" in that it wasn't as hoppy as even Mirror Pond. Try it again in the mindset that maybe its more comparable to Rogue's American Amber than Mirror Pond.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should have admitted my orientation toward ambers--not my fave style. But, that said, I know the difference between an indifferent amber and a good one. The bottle I had was out of balance and cloying--and the thing I really didn't like was the dense viscosity, an almost gloppy quality. Deschutes is usually good, even in its low-hop beers, about making sure they finish cleany and crisply. Green Lakes continued to cloy on the way down.

    So, I'm stickin' to my guns! (Until the next bottle proves me wrong, of course...)

    ReplyDelete