You love the blog, so subscribe to the Beervana Podcast on iTunes or Soundcloud today!

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Cheap Beer Doesn't Have to be Bad Beer

Yesterday afternoon, I was the guest on what ultimately proved to be a doomed broadcast of Savor PDX. Devlyn, the host, informed me this morning that our half-hour discussion was scuttled by digital gremlins. Ah well. However, during our discussion, we talked briefly about how being poor is no excuse for drinking bad beer. (Most of us are poor at the start of our beer-drinking careers, just at the moment when good beer may be most critical.) I mentioned that it only required you to be clever. Of course, one option is the two-dollar pint at EastBurn every Tuesday. Great beer, amazing price.

By chance, after that interview, I joined a friend at Fire on the Mountain, a wings place just a few doors down from EastBurn. As a (poor) vegetarian and someone who finds chicken wings gristly and meager, I had never had occasion to stop in. And thus did I miss an amazing deal. Six dollar pitchers! The tap list is nothing to sniff at, either: Double Mountain, Hopworks, Ninkasi, Terminal Gravity, and more.

So that takes care of Monday and Tuesday. Where would an enterprising beer drinker, long on smarts but short on cash, go on other nights? Suggestions?
_________________
Share

5 comments:

  1. Hey Jeff,

    I love a good deal and have had a couple of posts over at Portland Beer and Music about great beer deals in Portland:

    http://pdxbrewtunes.blogspot.com/2010/02/few-more-great-beer-deals.html

    http://pdxbrewtunes.blogspot.com/2010/01/eastburn-2-tuesday-beast-deal-in-town.html

    It seems Monday and Tuesday are the leaders: Miser Monday and Tightwad Tuesdays can be found at various Lucky Labs and Lompocs, along with Eastburn's and Fire on the Mtn's specials.

    Bill from It's Pub Night noted that Vincente's Pizza has $3 pints on Wed/Thurs. He also added to the Tuesday bounty with $2.50 imperial pints at Roots.

    Bridgeport has $3 imperial pints everyday for happy hour. Kenny and Zuke's on NW Thurman has $2.50 pints everyday for happy hour as well - only two taps but usually good.

    I am sure there are more. I wish there were more all day deals on Wednesday and Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason--fantastic, thanks!

    (I almost mentioned the BridgePort happy hour price, which is pretty fine.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Home brewing = year round deals!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a one-off or more accurately once-a-year.

    Hopworks 2nd Anniversary
    Wednesday, 24 March 2010; 11a -11p.

    Happy Hour menu in the bar and $2 pints of delicious organic beer throughout the restaurant.

    This is very under reported; brewpublic.com seems the sole source, thanks, BP.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I moved to Portland from Ann Arbor, MI in '97, I was impressed with the reasonable prices here. However, I was still relatively poor, and the discovery of $2 pints at Tugboat was a happy moment. I was there a couple months ago, and though I don't recall current prices, I'll wager they are still plenty cheap!

    ReplyDelete