You love the blog, so subscribe to the Beervana Podcast on iTunes or Soundcloud today!

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Lists, Lists

A slow day today, and I've been doing other things. However, I see Stan has linked to a list of BrewDog's favorite hops. This is interesting for a couple reasons: 1) Scottish brewers have not heretofore been noted for their hop passion, and 2) half are American. Bonus points for how they associate the different hops (positively, which goes to show that Scotland is a long way from Oregon) with Lady Gaga, David Hasselhoff, Spandau Ballet, Ziggy Stardust, Tony Christie [?], and the Boss. You can decide how well these personalities align.

Next, Derek rather off-handedly selects his top ten Oregon breweries. Inclusions include Standing Stone and Big Horse, and exclusions include Full Sail, Pelican, Caldera, Ninkasi, Fort George, Widmer, Roots, Hopworks, and so on and so forth. His fave brewery? Hint: it's been open less than two years. Very bold! Personally, if you gave me a few more slots--say 35-40, I might play along. But ten? No way. You may go take issue with him there.

Update: I should add--confess--I do like Lady Gaga. But I'd call her more of a Summit than a Simcoe.

7 comments:

  1. Off-handedly? I thought I clearly explained that I put thought into it. Though you may not agree with my selection doesn't mean there was no forethought.

    You seem to elude to a 2 year old brewery being unable to deliver the best variety of beer in an area, yet you then reference Hopworks which is of similar "immaturity".

    Be safe, use your top 36.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch! The off-handed comment was the way in which you delivered the list, not the deliberation involved. And it was intended to be complimentary, like you couldn't be bothered with petty considerations like acing out some beloved breweries. A casual issuance, delivered off-handedly. Like that.

    But Hopworks would have been bold pick for best brewery, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is my revised "Top 44 Oregon Brewers" list.

    http://oregonbeer.org/guild-members/

    Who's in your "Top 44"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Har-de-har, funny man. But that looks about right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you actually say, "har-de-har?"


    Do you say "Shucks" and "Golly" too?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeff: You do need to get down to Block 15. I've visited twice, and had a couple of superb IPAs (a "One Hop Wonder" with Sorachi Ace and a "Twelve Hops of Christmas"), a marionberry wheat, the Aboriginale strong ale, etc. I don't know if Block 15 is the best brewery in Oregon, but they make some damn fine beers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Block 15 is a great choice.

    The one problem all those small breweries have is the 22 oz bottle and high o2 levels inherent with mobile bottling. I will drink them fresh on tap, but I will pass on the 22's

    ReplyDelete