You love the blog, so subscribe to the Beervana Podcast on iTunes or Soundcloud today!

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Honest Pint Act ... Dead

I am going to do my best not to take this personally, but less than an hour after my eloquent support of the Honest Pint Act down in Salem, the committee voted not to send it to the Senate. So it's dead now for this session. (I finally get involved in the politics of the thing and it dies. Hmmm.)

It was a fairly interesting experience, though. The committee has to run through a batch of bills, and they want you to do your advocacy and move on. Just before our bill came up, Paul Romaine, mighty big-beer lobbyist, was giving testimony on another. As he introduced the Honest Pint Act, Senator Metsger, the committee's chair, produced a glass from Ukraine or someplace--anyway, it had been marked by the state. There followed jokes about how it was a shame the glass wasn't filled.

You've all heard me talk ad nauseum about this, so I'll spare you the blow-by-blow of my comments. You know my schtick.

I have sort of been waiting to see what would happen with this before I went on a dog and pony show to get pubs certified by my project. I guess now I have some work in front of me. Too bad--I was looking forward to an assist from the state. Ah well, that's politics.

1 comment: