You love the blog, so subscribe to the Beervana Podcast on iTunes or Soundcloud today!

Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Honest Pint Act Vote Today

I received word that Jules' Honest Pint Act is headed for a vote in the Oregon House today. If it passes, it's on to the Senate. A legislative process is slow and incremental, but this would be a pretty big deal. The number of bills that die after clearing one chamber is substantially lower than those that get introduced or even sent out of committee. So if it passes, that will be something of a deal.

Here's a question. I'm too close to the issue to have much perspective. I notice that my updates about it rarely elicit a comment. So are you all disinterested or secretly opposed and just too polite to tell me to shut up?

6 comments:

  1. Nope, I'm definitely interested in the progress, just don't have a whole lot of faith in it actually getting done. I am surprised that it's making to a vote, to be honest. So, keep up the updates. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea but not the legislation much, so I am torn between supporting the HPP and not wanting to bad mouth the bill. (Though I have done both)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm interested and following along. I love the idea, although I haven't looked closely at the specifics of the bill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm interested in the HPP. No one comments because the House Bill is good fun but nothing else.

    The legislation that is really needed is amending ORS 618.206 (Manner of selling commodities) to stipulate volume marking on glassware.

    It mystifies me why taverns are exempt from weights and measures regulations that provide a level playing ground in every other area of commerce. The people who don't want that legislated boggle my mind. Do you want fraud to be legalized in some other instance?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patrick and Bill, here's my argument for this version of the HHP--which I don't think anyone would argue is the gold standard.

    It's a camel's nose issue. You go with the HHP bill because it pushes the ball down the field. It establishes in the consumers' mind the issue and causes them to expect something more. It makes the likelihood that the gold standard--etched glasses--is more likely in a few years.

    (And I love the suggestion--made by Patrick, I believe--that the etched glasses should be called "Beaver pints.")

    Bill, I don't think they are exempt (see here). It's an issue of enforcement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the HPP also, but like Patrick I'm not a fan of the legislation. I don't have much confidence in Oregons government so I'm a big fan of the grassroots version. I do like the updates though because I'd rather know what's going on then just shove my head in the sand and hope it fails.

    Sorry, I know you support the bill, was just giving my 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete