You love the blog, so subscribe to the Beervana Podcast on iTunes or Soundcloud today!

Thursday, January 07, 2010

Reviews: Widmer W '10 and SN/DH Life and Limb

After finding myself in the doldrums of the holidays, it's good to finds some new beers awaiting me on the other side. I had a chance to try two much-anticipated releases in the past week--Widmer's GABF gold-medal winning black IPA W '10 and Life and Limb, a collaborative beer from Sierra Nevada and Dogfish Head. Let's start with the home-town team.

Widmer W '10
The "W" series has turned out to be one of the bigger successes in Widmer's history--at least from a beer perspective. From it they have gotten two standards, Drifter and Brrr, and with this year's offering, a gold medal. And, if the whole black IPA has any legs at all, another beer for the regular rotation.

Let us stipulate here at the top: I don't like black IPAs. I find the combo psychically disconcerting, as if discovering that Rush Limbaugh suddenly became a PETA-loving vegan. The mixture of black malts and clean, crisp hopping confuse me, never mind the syntactical dischord of a "black pale." And so, while I'm about to rave about this beer, my opinion of the style hasn't changed. I will not drink a lot of this beer in the future, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate and admire it.

The difficulty in making a black pale is trying to find harmony amid clashing elements--hops and black malts. Trickery can overcome the paradox--you can darken an IPA so that it looks visually black but contains none (or few) of the flavor notes of dark malts. But to make the two work together is the real trick, and one Widmer pulled off. The bridge comes by using hops that approximate pine tar. They're bright and clean, but they hold hands nicely with the cocoa-bitter dark malts. (I'd love to tell you which malts were used, but Widmer's website is currently doing a hinky timeout thing.) This allows both elements of the beer to express their true natures while managing to occupy the same glass. (More reviews at Ezra's new joint.) If you're at all interested in this style, buy a sixer. But if you're like me, also feel free to let the phenomenon build without your participation. I feel compelled to offer this beer at least an A- on the ratings scale, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it become the standard, at least locally.

It bears mentioning that the Widmers have dealt a blow the cause to popularize the "Cascadian Dark Ale" style. Instead of calling this beer by that name on the label, they have gone with "Black IPA." Whether this beer actually qualifies as a Cascadian Dark Ale is another matter (sometimes the distintion is lost on me), but if Widmer ends up with a big hit, Black IPA may blot out the sun as far as nomenclature goes, leaving Cascadian Dark Ale as a cool coulda-been.

Life and Limb
This is one of those beers that looks fantastic on paper. Sam Calagione tapped some maple syrup from the home farm in Massachusetts and Sierra Nevada contributed their own barley to make a 10% old ale fermented with yeast from both breweries and bottle-conditioned with birch syrup. Definitely a high-concept beer from two of the most-beloved craft breweries in the country.

I started homebrewing back in 1993, when my palate was young and crude. Within a few batches, I was regularly making beer that met my own low standards. In the intervening decades, my palate has refined a lot more quickly than my homebrewing skills. A particular segment of my ouvre involves big beers that are like streotyped football players--strong, coarse, dumb, but affable and polite. Old ales, imperial stouts, strong ales--they tend to turn out pleasant, drinkable, but amateurish. When I cracked Life and Limb, I encountered a beer very much like my own homebrew. I therefore enjoyed it, but as with my homebrew, I'm not fooled--it's not a fully successful experiment.

Life and Limb is a very sweet, sticky beer. I would call it an old ale, though it's a bit on the strong side for that style. Sweet stickiness is okay for an old ale, as are the additions of syrup. The problem is that the flavors overwhelm each other and result in a muddled, indistinct palate. Caramel and maple notes are here, but it's just too sweet and despite the 10% strength, nothing balances them. They crash together with the treacly malt in the mouth leaving you with just a general sense of sweetness. It's hard to get through even a half bottle and you feel like you need a pint of water afterward.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that in a year's time this beer has improved markedly--but if so, I wonder why it was released so green. Not a catastrophe, but at $10 a bottle, definitely nothing you have to feel about missing. I'd give it a C+ on the ratings scale.

11 comments:

  1. I agree with you about Life and Limb, though I must say that I also tried it from Laurelthirst at 11 AM with a couple of vegan pancakes and in that context it was a little better ;)

    Limb and Life has been given much better reviews and, though it is a completely different beer, I would like to have tried it as well. I've had a bottle of W'10 in my fridge for about a week so maybe it's time to crack it open.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the W - but my husband was not a fan. Which worked out in my favor, since I ended up with 5/6 of the beers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, you just saved me $10 on Life and Limb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also enjoyed the W'10, I think Widmer has done very well with this style, that isn't...

    I have yet to try Life & Limb, but this is the first negative review I've seen for it. I have one bottle in my "cellar", I'll hold judgement until the cap comes off that one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Widmer in my eyes always bottled very boring and safe beers. Yes the Hefe is nice on a hot day... but their Amber, and IPA I don't buy... I may have once, but they are just not go-to beers for me. When they released Drifter, I was shocked, and am actually drinking one right now. It's a beer I see buying again and again. Now with the release of W'10 I am even more shocked because I like it just the same as Drifter. I have already polished off 2 6-packs of it, and plan to buy more. My only beef with Widmers stuff are the characteristics of the yeast. My palate and other areas are sensitive to some brewers yeast strains... to me on the palate, Widmers is a bit thick and chalky. But overall Drifter, and W'10 are certainly 2 of my favorite easy-to-find bottled craft brews on the shelf.

    As for Life and Limb... a buddy told me it was too hot, and all over the place.... and that aging it would be the best thing to try and save it from being a total disaster. I have 1 bottle that I will probably be to afraid to open for a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. left out an "o" on "too", sorry. :) (As picky about my typo's as my beer)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Hop Back raises an important point: a lot of people have been enjoying Life and Limb. It's getting a B+ on BeerAdvocate. As with any review, your mileage may vary.

    One thing about BeerAdvocate, though. Oregonians tend to have a greater density of beer geeks who possess more sophisticated critical judgment. A word to the wise. If you're living in Oklahoma City, Life and Limb may well be one of the best beers you can get. In Oregon?--not so much. Again, varying mileage. I will be interested to hear if the local reaction is more positive than my own.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In SW Fl, only 3 Oregon brands are available and only core beers from:
    - Full Sail
    - Rogue
    - Widmer Bros.: Drift, Drop Top, Hefeweizen.

    Based on websearch of regional beer distributors and big box outlet ['Total Wine&More' and 'World of Beer'].

    ReplyDelete
  10. Though I wasn't blown away by Life & Limb I really do/did enjoy it. I found it opens up a lot more the warmer it gets. Straight out of the fridge/tap is not where it's at with this one. I purchased several bottles and have several I'm saving for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  11. PS...Limb & Life did absolutely nothing for me. Very thin, nothing happening...Tasted like my first partigyle brew. (Like you the pallet has changed but the brewing skill not as much!)

    ReplyDelete