You love the blog, so subscribe to the Beervana Podcast on iTunes or Soundcloud today!

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Temptation to Corruption

There are good and bad things about social media. Mostly it's good. But as I have learned in the last few weeks, social media offers a tantalizing opportunity for the blogger to corrupt himself for traffic. I was reminded of this yesterday when I started to see a bunch of hits come in off Facebook. Turns out Rogue had linked up my post. Over the course of the day, I'd estimate it juiced my hits by about 25%.

All well and good until you consider that Rogue linked me up because I was praising their beer and pub. Had I disliked Chatoe Single Malt I'm guessing they would have chosen not to direct their fans my way. And there you have it: I toady up to breweries, I get more traffic. Hell, do it enough, I might even get ad revenue!

I may have to institute a second series of awards as a way of building up my corruption antibodies. I'm thinking the "Dismal Malty Substances (DMS) Awards"--sort of like Hollywood's Razzies. In the meantime, readers may have to find their inner Doc Worts and keep us bloggers honest.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to work on a post about how handsome Jamie Floyd is.

___________
PHOTO: HOMO POLITICUS

7 comments:

  1. If you're looking for your first DMS nomination I've heard "great" things about Rogue's Puckerwood Guy that was on tap at Puckerfest.

    That should balance out any karma toil you have from the Facebook boost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it's a maiden the shade review, you're so there....

    ReplyDelete
  3. You mean all I have to do is kiss a breweries ass and they'll link to my blog??? Wow! How empowering! Maybe I'll even get invited to one those Free Beer Junkets??!!

    I think I'll give it try.....

    "Widmer Hefeweizen is the best American Wheat ale I've ever had past my lips!"

    Hmmmm, well, that made me feel kind of nauseated.... Don't think I'll be doing that again any time soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeff, just keep doing what you do, baby! You gotta be you, and most of us love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with DigIt, be yourself, post what you want, and let the rest take care of itself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Morgan, are you suggesting I sample your beer with the DMS Awards in mind?

    Digit and John--thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww... no thanks for Doc Worts words of wisdom? ;-)

    ReplyDelete