You love the blog, so subscribe to the Beervana Podcast on iTunes or Soundcloud today!

Thursday, December 02, 2010

Mr. Tech and the Holiday Ale Fest

Whoo-boy, look at me go. In the left-hand column, you'll see a live twitter feed that is updated with hashtags #haf2010 or #holidayalefest. I intend to begin adding my own when I arrive for the first time this afternoon.

Some people have questioned the value of Twitter--and perhaps rightly so. But I've discovered that when you link it up to live events, the chatter that emerges from them creates a kind of real-time snapshot of the event. Kari Chisholm pioneered this at BlueOregon with political events, and I am slowly trying to follow suit. Want to find out what the buzz beers are? Want to find out what just came on or just blew? Crowd-sourcing the info is a great way to go.

Anyway, enjoy. And remember, use the correct hashtags!

7 comments:

  1. Love the Sam I AM tweet... Looking to trade 33 Beer Booklets for beer tickets! What's next, waiting at the Exit, asking those leaving for extra Tickets like a pan-handler? How low can you go? ;-}

    Love... Dr Douche! :-*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jeff... How does one enter Tweets to the Live Tweet on your sight? I'm not a tweeter....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doc, if you tweet something and add this text:

    #haf2010 OR #holidayalefest

    it will go in the tweet update. Those things are called "hashtags" in tweetspeak.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But the tweets run backwards in time... The ones at the top are old and it keeps stuffing older ones in there, oh, my brain hurts!!! Think I'll stick to Twitter, old man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A technical glitch. My team is on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope the live-update panel is event specific; ie, temporary.

    I find it distracting.

    I offset the browser window to put it off screen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely. It's a trial run and I'll leave it through the weekend. I think the tech holds many interesting possibilities, and I will probably re-visit it. Had I been thinking, I would have trialed it for the GABF--that would have been a great service for all of those who didn't attend.

    Still, it's a beta test, so we'll have to wait and see what comes next.

    ReplyDelete