You love the blog, so subscribe to the Beervana Podcast on iTunes or Soundcloud today!

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Deschutes' Portland Pub

T-minus 13 days and counting until Deschutes' western outpost in the Pearl opens. They popped for a $5 million joint, and John's got the pictures (18 in all). Of interest: the space-age brewing system, salvaged-timer bar, and the massive urinals. (Yes, urinals.) Foyston describes it as "not snooty," which is reassuring. Go have a look.

(Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for the VIP invitation to the opening bash. Just, you know, in case anyone's reading.)


  1. Hi Jeff, long time reader and first time poster. I was at the opening day with my girlfriend last Wednesday and it was the worst experience I've ever had at a restaurant. I cannot recommend Deschutes Portland Pub to anyone, unless you want to pick up a $3 pint glass with the deschutes logo on it.

    Grand Opening was packed with people and when I arrived with my party they held us for over 30 minutes even though we had reservations far in advance. This is acceptable for a first day. The beginning of the worst was the food. I ordered the most expensive item on the menu, a lobster ravioli. How much did I get when the smiling waittress dropped it off at our table? Six. Six ravioli, with a spoonful of lobster on top. This was $23.

    Forward to Sunday. My girl got off work and invited me back to Deschutes and I figured that the beer must be good, so I won't order anything. I met up with her that evening as she was trying to eat a slice of cheesecake, but put her fork down instead. I asked what the problem was and she replied that it tasted funny. I took a bite and immediately recognized that it was moldy. Not only was the cheesecake MOLDY, but from a single bite she was puking the next day and had to stay home from work. Pretty expensive cheesecake, I would say.

    I just got back from Deschutes with her and we are never going back. I ordered a cheeseburger while she ordered a vegi sandwhich. From the moment we sat down to the moment our plates came was an hour. Unacceptable. I wish I had taken a picture with my cameraphone of the cheeseburger. The menu said it was 1/3 pound, which was an exaggeration to say the least. It was a tiny little slab of meat overcome by a huge bread roll. My date really got it: Her vegi sandwhich was soggy and cold, and not in a minor way. The bread was soaked on the underside. We waited another fifteen minutes to get Sarah, our server and ask what we should do.

    Sarah was very polite and offered us AN APPETIZER FOR THE TROUBLE. We sighed, and took it because we both had to work the next day and were in no mood. My date ordered the mussels. When the waittress came back with the plate they were also small. The portions are bad, especially for a restaurant like this.

    We paid our tab and left promptly.

    What made it all the worse was the fact I got to meet the founder of Deschutes Brewery and shake his hand. How could he let his company treat customers this way?

  2. anonymous, I'm confused as to why you kept going back...what 3 trips in 3 days? Knowing it's the grand hoopla opening week & I'm sure knowing anyplace that opens is going to have issues whe first few weeks.